Wednesday, October 30, 2013

And in this corner....


The Golden Age of Wrastlin'

Rowdy Roddy Piper, The Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff
Hulk Hogan, Superfly Jimmy Snuka, The Junkyard Dog, Andre the Giant

I'll just say it.  During the mid-80's  WWF was at its height.  I can still hear Mean Gene's voice booming through the TV, delivering quality suspense and unscripted drama.

I was convinced it was all real.  Of course they would get into the ring, go round-n-round, pounding each other, then do it all over again next week.  It was most certainly real.  Real sweat, real muscles, real men engaged in real battles.  

Somewhere along the line I began to grow suspicious.  No way those WWF no-names lose to the WWF superstars every week.  Why don't they have ultra cool signature moves like the mainstays?  Why on earth do the no-names wear those plain tights with zero personality?

Eventually it all began to feel fake, even scripted...

but I didn't care, I was sold.  Wrestlemania was just too well done and Hulkamania was irresistible.  After all, canned or not, Hogan's three "demandments" we're still core principles to shoot for.

We wrestle not with flesh and blood.

The apostle Paul probably wouldn't have cared for WWF.  I get the sense he was too serious.  Joyfully serious, but serious nonetheless.  Maybe not Paul but The Sons of Thunder would've loved it.  By their nickname, they understood pageantry.

No matter, Paul reminds us in Ephesians 6 that we are all involved in a lifelong wrestling match.  We battle not against flesh and blood but against forces that desire nothing more than to cause us imaginable ruin, heartache, and loss.  This wrestling is far from scripted and it doesn't hinge on personal bravado or a cool stage name.

We win solely buy submission.

I love how James 4 puts it, "Submit yourselves therefore to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you.  Draw near to God and He will draw near to you...humble  yourselves before the Lord and he will exalt you".  If I push my way or my agenda, I lose.  If I crave my base desires more than God, I am not submitting.  If I care more about my idols and the immediate sense of gratification they grant, I will not win.  If I go round-n-round with God, I will be overran.

Going round-n-round with God.

In Isaiah 7 we read of king Ahaz going round-n-round with God to the point that God grew weary.  In many ways, chapter 7 is a small window into the life of an ancient man lost in the age old struggle.  Would the king submit his will to the true King of Israel or would Ahaz continue down his rebellious path?  Would Ahaz respond to God's last efforts to offer mercy or would the king seal his fate and the fate of his people?

In the next couple days or so, I'll post with regard to Ahaz and his place in the book of Isaiah.  Until then I thought it important to highlight the theme of wrestling because far to often this portion of the book, specifically the Immanuel prophecy in 7:14, is quickly stripped from its context and taken directly to the gospels. In doing so, we rarely give thought to the text's immediate message for king Ahaz and all who would read his story.

We are right to read that the Immanuel child means "God with us" but with king Ahaz may we not be so quick to assume God is with us for salvation.  I encourage you to take time and read chapter 7-8:10.  Give attention to the overall tone of the section, the prophetess' role, the name of her son Maher-shalal-hashbaz, and the part Assyria is to play in God's movements toward Ahaz and his people.

As we work our way through the book, lets wrastle well. As we consider Ahaz may we be reminded of the futility of going round-n-round with God. May we somberly consider the deceptive nature of sin and whatever our circumstances, however great the temptation, may we slow down and submit ourselves daily to the One who is able to save our souls.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment