Monday, March 23, 2009

Becoming a People of Praise, Part 3


Name one person in the latter half
of the 20th century who seemed happier than Bob Ross?

Name just one.

You can’t do it. You simply cannot beat Bob and his happy, little trees.



No one will ever come closer to oozing sheer, unadulterated bliss and tranquility.

He was creepy.

I reference Bob Ross only to say that when thinking about becoming a people of praise, we must avoid caricatures. We all know of at least one person who seemingly exudes joy, but let me give a word of practical advice. If we try to emulate their expression, we will certainly feel awkward largely because God has wired us all differently (gender differences, personality nuances, etc.). The goal isn’t that we have uniform expression but that we have a uniform, detailed confession - a consistent affirmation that God is actively involved within the details of life. And I suggest that this confession, this practical recounting of God’s gracious activity, is one key distinctive of Christian community. Practically speaking, in what measurable ways am I injecting praise within the body of Christ?

Consider the following verses:

Come and hear all who fear God, and I will tell of what he has done for my soul.
Psalm 66:16

I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth…the humble shall hear it and rejoice. O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together. Psalm 34:1-3

"…covetousness must not even be named among you… instead let there be
thanksgiving.” Ephesians 5:3-4


While these portions of Scripture require little comment, they do demand an account. In what ways are we practically seasoning our conversations with accounts of God’s grace? If we were to monitor our daily interactions, would the specific recollection of God’s daily graces be a constant occurrence?

If you are like me, I suspect when you first start down this path it might seem unnatural - possibly even contrived. But may I suggest that ‘unnatural’ not be equated with ‘disingenuous’. For me, one reason it felt so unnatural is because my personality can be a cross between Oscar the Grouch and Eeyore. Whatever our wiring, we must creatively consider how to transform our speech patterns so as to not neglect our calling.

I hope you realize that I'm not expecting every man and woman to stand up in the worship assembly and wax eloquently on the many ways God has blessed their lives. Clearly, the various authors of the psalms had a way with words. King David's praise report would likely be much more colorful and descriptive than mine -so be it. But could I share with a few close friends? Could I call the church office and have the praises added to some ongoing list? Again, I'm not sure God desires us to live outside of our wiring as much as He desires us to fulfill our calling - however that may be done.

Much more could be said, but I’ll leave you with this. Speak of His goodness. Today, find a brother or sister in Christ and begin intentionally sharing accounts of God's grace.

I'm thinking of the old Geico commercials where they would hire a"celebrity" to tell the story of the "common man" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOYnOeo42ko&NR=1). Your it! No one else can speak of the countless ways God is manifesting His grace in your life so pass it on...

May God continue to loosen lips to recount His infinite praise

5 comments:

  1. Jason, I love reading your blog and I love the reference to Bob Ross! I recall many times watching him with my children as he created a beautiful landscape and then added a big brown line that became "a happy little tree!" Thank you for recalling this memory on a Monday morning. Last night I took your challange below to write down 10 things I am thankful and praise God for. Thank you for helping me remember to express my thankfulness and praise to God and to share it with others. I will do this! Psalm 118:24!! Eugenia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eugenia. One of my praises for the weekend was watching Truman dance with your daughter - I will never hear 'Footloose' the same! Thank God for laughter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the midst of one of lifes storms I have to be thankful that the Lord has only taken a job. I have to be thankful that the body of Christ is so overly compassionate and active. I have to be thankful that the Lord set us up for this time. I have to be thankful that the Lord has provided in the past and has made clear he is our provider! I'm thankful for a husband that loves his family...that also has a passion for kingdom work and the salvation of young souls being led astray by the current culture. I pray I will also have that same passion and not worry about today's trials (which are only my own) but look to eternity and live for eternity and be actively involved in what God is doing NOW in other people not just myself! I'm thankful for today - that the Lord has allowed me to ask for forgiveness and try again and then to experience his mercy and grace again today!

    There is MUCH to be thankful for, so the list goes on...thanks Pastor/Friend!

    Page

    ReplyDelete
  4. As stated last night, both of you guys have been genuinely refreshing in your pursuit of kingdom values. Janna and I will continue to pray, thanks for the honest reflection.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  5. "in what measurable ways am I injecting praise within the body of Christ?"

    What a thought to ponder! As I sit here on a Sunday morning missing church due to sickness, I am moved, challenged and convicted by your blog. As a member of the praise team ministry at my church, I am reminded that praise is about so much more than a worship service - it's about our everyday lives. Wow, if we could all just let that sink in DEEP into our belief systems. Thank you for your words, Jason - they are a cool drink of water to my soul!

    ReplyDelete