Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Kung Fu, Fasting, and Dancing with the Stars


As with most things in life, my experience with fasting has basically been a slow meandering toward the desired end.

Years ago, this particular discipline conjured up images of emaciated men sitting in seclusion and swaying to indiscernible chants. Fasting was extreme, maybe even cultish. In time I realized the contrary, that fasting was in fact a biblical exercise. Even so, I saw it as a last resort. The proverbial “panic button” of Christian practice - when circumstances were obviously beyond control, fast.

At this stage, I sensed feelings of desperation but I never quite understood the internal pursuits and attitudes associate with biblical fasting. I’d yet to realize the qualitative difference between fasting for circumstances and fasting to simply know more of Christ and the power of His resurrection. During this particular stage all fasting would cease once resolution was found.

I’d yet to pursue fasting in its fullest expression.

The individual who first introduced me to the fullness of biblical fasting could have easily passed for a young David Carradine. You might remember the TV series Kung Fu starring Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine; a displaced ninja with nothing more than a nap sack and an indomitable will to defend the weak. With my testosterone beginning to rage, this bald master was the embodiment of all things cool. Seriously for the sheer benefit of identifying a cultural icon of the 70’s, you simply must check out
Kung Fu.

Where was I…

Point being, through this man’s consistent testimony I eventually grew beyond a casual interest in the discipline of fasting. In not allowing my constant inquiries to remain academic, he regularly funneled my questions into a series of informal exercises. And, truth be told, I’ve proven to be a very slow learner! Being several years removed from this man’s influence, it seems as if God’s main concern was that this saint plant seeds. For shortly after Josiah's accident, God allowed me to recall conversations with this mentor and in time their seeds began to sprout.

I've taken liberty to condense major themes of our conversations into the following:

In short, it was impressed upon me that fasting is an opportunity of privilege reserved solely for the household of faith. As a physical bridge into experiencing deeper spiritual realities, it is to be a normative expression of our faith and worship (Is 58:1ff; Matt 6:16; Acts 13:2-3). Through intentional deprivation a natural hunger is created, one that is to be guided into a consistent spiritual craving. As such, fasting is not merely the passive abstinence of food. At its heart, this discipline is an active endeavor to remove any barrier and press into the actual presence of God. Understanding that man shall not live by bread alone, a lifestyle of fasting aims to develop an acute appetite for God's self-revelation, kingdom, power, and righteousness (Deut 8:3; Is 58; Matt 4:4, 5:6, 6:16). In this light, fasting is to be practiced until the very day when the Bridegroom returns to take His bride (Matt 9:15).

While there is certainly biblical precedent for situational fasts such as healing, spiritual deliverance, expression of grief, and discernment (Ps 35:13; Neh 1:4ff; 2 Sam 1:12; Matt 4:1). I would suggest that a more full expression of fasting is that of a systematic, periodic work primarily focused upon Christ’s coming reign. It seeks to encounter aspects associated with Christ’s kingdom: intimate communion, spiritual power, and holiness.

In closing, allow me to say that I marvel at people who dance well. On a handful of occasions I’ve caught portions of Dancing with the Stars and I’m truly amazed. Yet more times than I care to consider, I’ve fasted much like I dance. In not being exactly sure what to do, I tend to move aimlessly. In only being able to keep step with the music for short periods of time, I either improvise or begin stumbling around. Similar with fasting, in not being able to keep step with the Spirit’s movements it feels awkward, maybe even a waste of time. But rest assured, we are learning. And thankfully, on both accounts, my partners have been extremely gracious and patient.


May I encourage you to begin fasting? Whatever your experiences might be, learn from His grace. I’m more than willing to recognize that this post may not stimulate you as it continues to inform me, but above all I pray that we learn to keep in step with His ever faithful lead.

In the near future I aim to post concerning the prayer of faith and fasting, but for now I invite you to consider the following questions. When and why do you typically fast? In these times, which words best describe your experience: effective and focused or aimless and idle? In your opinion, why is this the case? Lastly, how might a lifestyle of fasting equip us to better engage in circumstantial fasts?

Thank you for your continued prayers for Josiah, Grace and Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the encouraging teachings on fasting Jason. God strengthen your hands my brother

    Scott

    ReplyDelete