Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Norsemen


1-2-3, 4-5-6; 1-2-3, 4-5-6
Both effervescent and full of encouragement,

the two were terrific instructors.
1-2-3…the box-step was set, nothing but the basics.
I was in the zone, confidence skyrocketing.
4-5-6...never mind that it was an entry level dance class.
Once paired with the female instructor,
I nailed it; flawless execution.
Never mind, they parked us on the bunny slope,
I was ready for the double black diamond

1-2-3, 4/5-6; 1-2-3, 4/5-6…
Curses
Sweat began to bead
Stepped on her toes and mine
It would get worse, the instructor suggested salsa
Train wreck, untold carnage
I couldn’t even count that fast

For a moment, imagine someone who can really dance. What words come to mind? One word might be freedom; freedom to move effortlessly. Having no further need to count steps, they are unencumbered by uncertainty. In giving themselves over to the rhythm they are freed to deeply enjoy the music, to enjoy and explore the spontaneity of dance.

Not so with me.
I hear music.
I detect rhythm.
I dance...


But under no certain terms would the word freedom be used to describe my movements. In being preoccupied with what to do next, I’m not really listening to the music. I’ll force movements that aren’t natural to the ebb and flow commanded by the rhythm. And while slight satisfaction is gained by solidifying all know stereotypes concerning Anglo men, I confess that my inability to move in step inhibits me from being freed to deeply enjoy the experience.

But don’t fret, I’ve grown quite comfortable in my role:
leading the Carrier boys in both song and dance
picture Norsemen returning with untold plunder

- truly a spectacle to behold

To point, you may recall a recent post that paralleled fasting and dance - namely that general, systematic fasts teach us to stay in step with the Spirit’s rhythm. Over and above other disciplines, biblical fasting enables the refinement of our craving for, and instinctual response to, all things spiritual. In taking this idea further I would suggest that there is a certain spiritual freedom only derived by keeping step with Him, a manner of life that is freed to both enjoy and explore the nuances of living faith.


Once privy to this rhythm, there is greater clarity and privilege. Herein the bride is freed from entanglements and uncertainty. She is wooed. Not with static, lifeless jargon but with the language of Sovereign Grace; a tongue that nurtures her faith and invites her to dance with the Possibility.

Having once been jaded she feared faith, warned against hope, and forbade love. So yes, at first she may need to count the steps aloud but she will see the unseen. She will sense resolve in what will Appear. She will extend that which she has found, to even the least of these. She will be freed to pursue the miraculous, freed to walk in step with the abiding Spirit of Christ.

My aim over the next few posts will be to move beyond general fasting and into the specific freedom we have to engage God in situational fasts for healing. As these posts are submitted, please know that with each passing phase there are more questions than there are answers. Know that these questions have led to numerous conversations with people spanning the entire spectrum of Evangelicalism. Some conversations I’ve eagerly absorbed and others I’ve patiently endured, but all were invited and in their own respects of great benefit. I expect that some of you may have stories to share or insights to add, please feel free to do so. But above all my prayer is that we develop an acute sense of His leading, learning to dance freely throughout the heights and depths of our common journey.

Grace and Peace

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed browsing through your blog. May God bless you and your messages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to describe fasting Jason! I too have felt oddly cumbersome in marrying fasting and prayer together. I have done it out of obedience but only lately has it become a smoother transition. My covenant to devote Tues. to fasting until Josiah's surgery kept being stretched from one month to the next until now it's nearly May! Yet, yesterday when someone brought in a huge box of donuts at work (my weakness) I thought "They smell good", but not for a moment was I even tempted. The desire to pray for Josiah though comes as a first thought of my day and the last prayer at night. I feel the pressure of God's hand on my back as He smoothly guides me in a prayerful dance of trust and an ever more boldness and delight in His presence. He's always kind.

    ReplyDelete