Monday, September 28, 2009

First Snow


"To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring."


during orientation for chaplaincy it was presented as a possible scenario.
I hoped beyond hope that winter wouldn’t fall
four weeks in, the beeper broke my slumber
the chill had begun to set

driving to the hospital it echoed in my mind
slowly details of orientation broke through the dread:
lead parents to the plush “family room”
dim the lights
dress the infant, colored gown: blue or pink
had I even dressed a doll before?
carry child into the room
encourage both to hold their still hope
be open, she said

heading for the parents
pink bundle swaddled in my arms
a tension of life became ever clear
though I’d soon deliver winter, spring was a mere two doors down
there, the distinct cries of new life burst forth
there, anticipation and possibility were finding their way
there, is where we want to be
there, it is easy to come alongside
here, I’m not so sure

indeed winter was about to set,
the door was opened. groaning previously unheard.
the words of orientation had eluded comprehension,
but here, in winter's first snow, I began to sense their weight: be open

to complexities, to silence
to tears, to pain,
to anger, to ignorance,
to uncertainty, to tomorrow
Be open to He who governs
each season by His gracious hand.

I share this memory because it stands as one of the first times in my adult life when I sensed the changing seasons. A key requirement of my Masters program was to fulfill a four month stint as a hospital chaplain. Coming out of orientation, the major emphasis that stuck in my head was the phrase “be open”.

Be open. Understanding we’d likely encounter new experiences, our supervisor’s admonition carried a twofold meaning. First, God will meet His people throughout the various seasons of existence; we need only be open and willing to encounter His hand. Second, as those who carry the divine Spirit of God be open to coming alongside the hurting. Be open to being His Presence.


When Josiah was in the hospital, the types of people that I found to be powerfully present were those who had developed an appreciation for the changing seasons. Those who brought life, perspective, and profound ministry weren’t those hopelessly infatuated with spring but those who’d encountered God in the various seasons of life.

These people spoke to me and several months ago in the post Stand By Me I set out to unpack the idea of becoming powerfully present with those we love - no matter the season they may be in. With this direction in mind, I hope to continue this theme by writing from Job 42:3-6.

Until then, I invite you to consider individuals who’ve, in your winter, come alongside. Of those that proved to be spiritually meaningful, what types of things did they do? Maybe it was a word they gave. Maybe it was their silence. Maybe it was their practical help. Whatever it may have been, what did they do that allowed you to sense His presence? As always, feel free to share!

Take Care

3 comments:

  1. Debbie comes to mind. It was her eyes that bored into mine like she was trying to dig deep into my heart to unearth the needs inside. She didn’t stay arm’s length away, she was into whatever I was and feeling the moment along with me. Few people have that gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it was Anita. 8 years ago I knew who she was but I didn't know her. She offered herself to me as more than just a friend but as a servant who was there to be whatever I needed during a very difficult time. She understood, she listened, she offered practical, Bibilical advice. What a treasure her friendship is to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i try to understand that sentence,
    sorry...i come indonesia
    my english language
    not good
    but, i like to read it

    ReplyDelete